Monday, August 17, 2009

Weekly Journal - Update!

August 17th, 2009
2 years BBY

Had a slow week this time around. I'm about halfway through Han Solo's Revenge, the second book of the Han Solo Adventures. The book hasn't blown me away thus far, but it does have some value. Stay tuned for a blog this week. After that, will be another chapter of Rebel Dawn and then the last book of the Adventures trilogy, Han Solo and the Lost Legacy. Shortly followed by more Han Solo tales. Anyone detecting a theme in this particular stretch of the timeline?

Anyway, a list of upcoming releases by Del Rey was posted on Sue Rostoni's blog not too long ago. I thought I'd share what Del Rey books (as well as Scholastic and Dark Horse) I'll be picking up later this year. Expect reviews!

09/01- A New Hope: The Life of Luke Skywalker by Ryder Windham

Happy birthday to me! Why am I excited about a Scholastic book? Well, one, it comes out on my birthday, and, two, the first two books- The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader and The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi- were so helpful and fun. Each of these books chronicle the key moments in the lives of key characters in the Star Wars universe, often incorporating previous adventures found in other titles. I found the Obi-Wan book to be particularly interesting because not only does it recap on the Jude Watson young Obi-Wan series, but also reveals never-before heard of adventures of Obi-Wan on Tatooine. Did you know he fights a Jedi from the old Order during his exile? I'll only read a few parts of the Luke book when I first get it, but I can't wait!

10/27- Imperial Commando: 501st by Karen Traviss (*sniffles*)

My frequent readers will know I am juiced for this release. I think its selling point is that it will most likely enlighten us as to how clone troopers transitioned into stormtroopers. Some may already know that stormtroopers are a mixture of clones and enlisted humans, but I'm sure there is an interesting story there.

11/04 - Knights of the Old Republic, Vol. 7 - Dueling Ambitions

We left Zayne Carrick and the motley Gryph having at last defeated the Krynda Draay's Jedi Covenant. And Zayne officially renounced the Jedi Order. So what happens next? Well, for one, Zayne and Gryph have gone into business together! What adventures will they get into next? I'm sort of excited about his graphic novel, but it reeks "transition story" to me.

FYI: I don't pick up the individual comics, I prefer the neatness of graphic novels. So I have no idea what's going on currently in KOTOR.

11/18 - The Clone Wars Vol. 1- Slaves of the Republic

I've been waiting for this for a long time. I'm really hoping that Henry Gilroy, the creator, can add a bit more depth to the stories of the Clone Wars Animated Series, ultimately limited to 30 minute episodes. Just please, oh please, don't do any more damage to the original Dark Horse Clone Wars series. And is that Anakin dressed as a slaver on the cover? Awesome!

12/08 - Darth Bane: Dynasty of Evil by Drew Karpyshyn

Get geared up for the final fight between Bane and Zannah, or at least I hope! Having read the blurb online, it seems the final installment of the Bane trilogy will have Bane seeking the key to eternal life.... Darth Plagueis anyone? Possibly, but definitely not directly. Still a few Sith Lords to get through (i.e. Millennial is next, I believe) before Plagueis.




No comments:

Post a Comment