Sunday, September 20, 2009

Jabba The Hutt: The Art of the Deal

Jabba The Hutt: The Art of the Deal


12-4 months BBY

Calling all criminal scum! If you want to learn a thing or two about making your way on the sultry side of the galaxy, this is the lesson for you. Perhaps the goriest Star Wars comic I have ever seen, Jabba The Hutt: The Art of the Deal is a collection of four short stories starring the galaxy's most infamous crime lord. Follow Jabba as he deftly swindles fellow crime lords, foils pirate princesses, and, quite literally, smashes the opposition.

There are some definite pros and cons to this book. To be honest, the art in this comic was not in my tastes. It's done by Art Wetherell (who did some Tales of the Jedi work) and is very similar to other late-90's Star Wars comic artwork. Just looks grimy to me. But hey, it would take a truly masterful artist to make Jabba look otherwise.

The stories, by Jim Woodring, are OK, but the last story, "Betrayal", is my definite favorite. This is because, along with the rest of the comic, you get a nice view into the devious mind of Bib Fortuna. The last story, in particular, features a nearly successful plot by Bib to assasinate Jabba. The twist at the end made me chuckle, I must admit.

Also, if you didn't think anything could be more disgusting than a Hutt, check out Princess Nampi the Orooturooan. Now that's a looker- and she's hungry.

As I said at the beginning of this blog, this is the most gore I've seen come out of the Star Wars franchise (keep in mind I haven't gotten to Death Troopers). It includes Hutt body slams, severed heads, and space-vacuum fireworks (think about it)- all of which end in a pool of blood. This one is not for the kiddies.

No comments:

Post a Comment